Thursday, November 22, 2018

Precious Moments of My Day

I love my life and find delight in every second of it. But there are certain moments that I cherish the most. These are always my favorite times of the day.  

1. Enjoying my breakfast while watching the sun slowly creep up in the sky and decorate the world with its golden rays, and listening to my daily motivation audio which gives me the drive I need to kick off the day. Nothing beats the bliss I feel in the early morning when I’m up before sunrise, buzzing with vigor, ahead of the game and eager to begin my day while most people on this side of the Earth are still snoring in bed. 

2. Saying good morning to my dogs. They’re the most bothersome creatures in existence yet I adore them with every ounce of my being, as they give me all the warmth and affection I need. I can’t describe the joy and love I experience when I squish Ace’s head between my hands and smother him with kisses as he continues to give me a cold stare but then puffs with jealousy when I ignore him and give the others attention; when stupid, happy-go-lucky Luna repeatedly jumps on me and tries to lick my face and shaking her off doesn’t make her budge; when Neo tries to imitate Ace by acting tough and bullying poor Loki so I scold him but he looks at me with those innocent eyes that make me want to hug him forever; when Loki gets upset and sprints to his cage and I follow him and tell him that he’s my favorite because we both have introverted personalities— we’re both lone wolves who will never truly belong to a pack; when little Iris, the most annoying and savage of them all, refuses to shut up and constantly lets out her earsplitting, high-pitched barks and follows me around and doesn’t cease to attack me with her deadly bites. I get so frustrated at them and my voice goes almost hoarse from all the yelling, but on the inside I’m filled with pure glee. These are the adventures I have every morning with this furry family of mine.

3. Munching on a protein bar and checking out my progress in the mirror (flexing hard and trying to convince myself that I’m buff although I know I still have a long way to go) after a good, exhilarating, mood-boosting workout and feeling satisfied, confident, accomplished, energized, and ready to tackle the rest of the day. 

4. Listening to my daily dose of Quran on my way to university to hear what Allah wants to tell me. Every day, Allah has certain messages for me. It always happens that the Ayat I hear on a specific day are relevant to some sort of issue I’m currently having, something that’s been on my mind, or questions that I’ve been pondering. Allah gives me the answers, advice, and reassurance I need. No words can describe the absolute peace of mind and highest level of euphoria I feel inside my heart when Allah’s beautiful, glorious words fill my ears and soul and entire being, and I know that these are the most genuine and awe-inspiring emotional experiences I’ll ever have. It’s always during these moments that I feel the strongest love towards Allah and a sense that I can’t wait to leave this life to meet Him. 

5. Rocking on the swing in my backyard after a long and exhausting day of med school, sipping on my warm, delicious coffee out of my favorite Warrior Cats mug, enjoying the late afternoon sun and crisp November air, and observing the tree branches as they stir in the gentle breeze and the fluffy clouds as they drift across the cerulean sky. This is the most relaxing part of my day, as I take a break before beginning a long evening of studying.  

6. Sitting on my bed at the end of the day, winding down and getting ready to sleep, writing in my diary and reflecting on my day in the dim light of my night lamp. Sometimes, if a full moon is out, I turn off the lamp and draw the curtains open to let the silver moonshine wash over my room, writing in its glimmering light instead. It’s a breathtakingly beautiful sight that makes me feel like I’m in some sort of magical, mystical place.  

7. Last but definitely not least, here’s my favorite time of the weekend and the entire week altogether: when I finally get some free time to watch a few anime episodes and have a chance to escape back into that heavenly realm of mine and forget all the obligations and responsibilities of life, if only for a little bit. Although I really do love every single thing about my life right now, there will always be that escapist, daydreamer part of me that believes that this world is too ordinary and mundane for a person like me, and that I truly belong in a far more thrilling world of action and fantasy. I love blocking out reality for just a couple of hours and diving deep into fiction to live a unique story and experience another exciting adventure with unforgettable characters. It clears my mind and soothes my soul. 

It’s the little, simple things in life that make you a happy. Happiness doesn’t depend on the circumstances of your life or the events happening around you; it depends on your response to them and the way you choose to perceive, interpret and deal with them. The secret to happiness is to appreciate all the small blessings, to relish every single moment, and to give positive meaning to every seemingly insignificant occurrence. I know it might sound cliché but it’s true. Load your heart with love— love for everyone and everything around you. Charge your mind with positivity. Learn to see the beauty in life, in even the tiniest, most trivial things, and allow them to fill you with elation. Just let go, free yourself of troubling thoughts and emotions, and enjoy the present. Live, laugh and love.